What we do
The Federation works in seven core areas:
- Representation and sector co-ordination
this is our fundamental role as the industry peak for housing associations in NSW. Its purpose is to be a voice for members, to enable them to work together as a mutually supportive sector and to articulate and pursue their common aspirations.
- Research and sector development
this supports the members’ directions and aspirations with effective research, policy development on key issues affecting the development of the sector and strategies to support the changing business of the sector.
- Relationships and alliances
this ensures that associations are promoted and well known to all other stakeholders who might help our development, and to allow associations to play their part in the wider community sector.
this is our most prominent direct service to members and others in the social housing sector. Though our Centre for Training in Social Housing, our accredited vocational training and other short courses support and build the capacity of organisations and the careers of workers in the sector.
- Professional and peer networks
this is a growing focus and provides opportunities for specific professional groupings, directors or tenants to share experiences and knowledge, identify issues and offer mutual support to their peers.
- Supporting organisations
the Federation directly supports individual members, their boards and management, in their work as housing providers. This ranges from free advice provided through our Housing Hotline, to consultancies on strategic planning, organisational reviews, tenant participation and the like, to intensive work with organisations to achieve their particular goals. See: Consultancies, Housing Management Hotline and Resource Bank.
- Good practice resources
this also supports our members and other providers by developing and continually updating resources on good practice social housing management. It includes Good Practice Guides, Resources, the series of Housing Hints and examples of good practice. (see Resource Bank).
- Organisational support
this part of the Federation’s work supports the Federation itself, its secretariat and the Board.
The Federation carries out its work and pursues it's goals and strategies within 3 teams
The Centre for Training in Social Housing
The Goals for the Centre of Training are to:
- Deliver national training and assessment services i.e. face to face & online to all the community housing sectors in all management areas
- Provide workshop information and advice for training to its members and other community based services
- Maintain a communication link with all stakeholders and its members within NSW housing
- Network with the national & NSW training authorities and industry groups to provide and to adhere to current training methods and ideologies.
The NSW Federation of Housing Associations is a Registered Training Organisation.
The Goals of the Policy Team are to:
- Provide high quality policy advice and analysis to the Federation and its members;
- Maintain and support sector wide consultation mechanisms;
- Maintain and develop strategic alliances;
- Identify and respond to sector wide policy and procedural challenges.
- Provide research and development capability to ensure the Federation remains the major source of expertise on the strengths and capabilities of community housing.
Office Services Team
Assures responsive and timely delivery of information to the sector through newsletters, mail outs, publications and the web site
The Goals of the Office Services Team are to:
- Ensure that the Federation is managed effectively and efficiently;
- Manage the information flows in and out of the organisation.