NSW Federation of Housing Associations Who we are and What we do What is Community Housing Training Services and Publications Find a Housing Association
This Section Find a Housing Association

It is for me?

Who Is Community Housing For?

All kinds of households can apply for community housing, including:

- families
- single people
- young people
- older people
- people with special needs
- Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders
- people of non-English-speaking backgrounds

From the 27th April 2010, a new process is in place for applying for community housing in NSW. This is called Housing Pathways. Under Housing Pathways, all applicants will be placed on a common housing register  once the eligibility requirements are met.

You need to be eligible for social housing. This means your income and other matters will be assessed  before your are accepted on the Common Housing Register under Housing Pathways.
 For more information and to apply, please go to the Housing Pathways website at www.housingpathways.nsw.gov.au. Your local community housing provider will also be able to assist you with your application.

Some people with slightly higher incomes may be eligible for Affordable Housing programs run by some community housing organisations. This is separate to the Common Housing Register, and you need to ask your local community housing provider for information on their Affordable housing programs.

What’s the difference from public housing?

The main difference is that it is managed by a local organisation with strong links to other local services.

Because it is an independent not-for-profit organisation, it is not managed by government.  But it is still accountable to government for how it houses its tenants.

Because community housing organisations try to be particularly responsive to local needs and tenant needs, there will often be tenants on its board or providing advice. 

What does it cost?

In most cases your rent will be less than in the private market.  

What choices are there?

There are three main types of community housing: 
Housing associations; housing co-operatives; and church based housing.

Housing Associations are non-profit organisations that manage Government-owned housing for you. They also manage houses that are not owned by the Government but you would need to apply directly to a housing association for these. The housing is managed by employees of the housing association (for example, you would see one of these employees about repairs).

Housing Co-operatives are also non-profit organisations - you still pay a similar rent, you still live in your own separate household.. The difference is that all the managing of the co-operative - repairs, selecting tenants, organising payment of rent - is done by the tenants themselves. This gives you a lot more say in how the housing is run but you also need to take more responsibility. Many co-operatives have been set up to meet the needs of particular social and ethnic communities.

Church run agencies provide housing with added Church resource.

Housing Associations, Housing Co-operatives and church based community housing  offer many forms of housing, such as flats, townhouses, small houses (villas) and large houses. As a community housing tenant, you might be living near other community housing tenants (for example on an estate or smaller cluster of houses) or in a single rented property.

How do I find out more?

- Your local community housing association (see Directory)
- Your local Housing NSW office
-Housing Pathways website www.housingpathways.nsw.gov.au


For crisis accommodation contacts and additional referral points other than housing associations - click here
Home Other Links Search Sitemap Contact us Legal Statement   @2006 NSWFHA