Strategic Planning Day
We recently held our strategic planning day with the ACHIA committee and had Justin Noel from Origin communications facilitate the day. All the feedback from consultations held with ACHIA members helped to enhance the direction of the day.
Once we have the finalized strategic plan we will be consulting with members from the northern, southern and western region to see if we have captured everything that was said.
ACHIA Central and Western Aboriginal Community Housing Provider Forum
On the 19th September we will be holding our 2nd ACHIA Central and Western Aboriginal Community Housing Provider Forum any ACHPs or LALCs who wish to attend please let us know so we can cater on the day and add you to the email list. This forum gives us a chance to get together and discuss housing related topics and help inform each other about what is happening in the sector.
Contact: Chadr@communityhousing.org.au or Ph. 0438 038 269
CHIA Exchange Dates
CHIA NSW hosts a series of member events as a key part of the services we provide to the community housing sector in NSW. In the last twelve months, these events have included two CHIA Exchanges, the Good Growth Housing Conference, the NSW Aboriginal Housing Caucus, several report and toolkit launches and a diverse range of smaller workshops both in Sydney and our regional areas. These events are pivotal to our role of assisting NSW housing providers to develop and maintain their services as well as to help build skills and capacities within their own organisations.
The CHIA Exchange is a regular sector wide opportunity for all CHIA NSW members to hear from industry leaders regarding sector innovation and policy updates. It also provides a forum to share ideas and networking opportunities.
As part of a review of member feedback and support for the CHIA Exchange, we have considered how the Exchanges are delivering on member expectations and needs.
We are delighted to advise that this year we have changed the format of the CHIA Exchange to make it easier for more of our members and their staff to attend.
There will be three CHIA Exchanges this year as follows:
Tuesday 24th September, 2019 (Networks: Asset Managers, Operations Managers, Planning & Development, Community Development, CHP Aboriginal Staff Network, Emerging Leaders)
Wednesday 12 February, 2020 (Networks: Asset Managers, Operations Managers, NDIS, CHP Aboriginal Staff Network, Emerging Leaders)
Wednesday 10th June, 2020 (Networks: Asset Managers, Operations Managers, Planning & Development, Community Development, CHP Aboriginal Staff Network, Emerging Leaders)
Venue: Rydges Central Sydney, 28 Albion Street.
As usual, entry is provided free to staff of CHIA NSW full members, with any non-members charged a small fee to attend where appropriate.
Registrations for the September event are open now via this link. We will send a link for registrations to the 2020 events closer to the date. For any information regarding the CHIA Ex, please contact Annette at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last chance- complete survey on Capacity Building for Aboriginal Community Housing Providers by this Friday
Please help us by completing this important survey. It will take no more than five minutes. The survey asks you if you have any further training or support needs to help you get ready for the National Regulatory System for Community Housing or the NSW Local Scheme (NRSCH / NSW LS)
The survey also asks about the capacity building program run by CHIA NSW in 2018 and 2019.
Your views are essential to the development of the sector and we would be very grateful if you could take a little time to provide your feedback.
If you have any questions about this survey, please contact Paula Coghill at
Still time to join the peak body
The purpose of ACHIA is to be the industry body for Registered Aboriginal Community Housing Providers in NSW and in doing so, to:
• promote the human rights of all Aboriginal people in NSW to decent, affordable and secure housing;
• promote the right of all Aboriginal people to self-determination, including the right to choose a culturally appropriate social landlord;
• develop and support public policy which promotes a more just housing system for Aboriginal people in NSW;
• in partnership with counterpart organisations across Australia, develop and promote policy at a national level for housing justice and self-determination for Aboriginal people;
• support the development of best practice in the provision of housing for Aboriginal people by encouraging networking and collaboration between Aboriginal Community Housing Providers; and
• support the provision of culturally appropriate housing by mainstream community housing providers.
ACHIA has been actively advocating and representing through various fora to ensure the voice of Aboriginal Community Housing is being heard and now have established ongoing relationships with our key stakeholders.
Continuing work will include;
- Chairing of the Aboriginal Housing Office, Aboriginal Social Housing Strategy (ASHS) Peak Reference Group established to support the AHO in the development of the sector investment strategy, priorities and other support initiatives
- Co-Host of the Aboriginal Housing Caucus 2019
- Member forums to gather feedback and help shape the future path for ACHIA
- FACS Aboriginal Outcomes in Housing Working Group (AOIH)
Join now for your free Membership and get access to CHIA NSW member benefits as well
(Please note voting rights to Community Housing Industry Association NSW are reserved for CHIA NSW full members )
Please see all form link below on becoming an ACHIA member
ACHIA membership form